Financial Threats from Terrorism and Disasters: Further Information
Newrisk Limited is able to assist organisations and governments with assessing, planning for, and responding to financial threats. Newrisk Limited and its principal adviser, Dr Leivesley, have provided media commentary, lectures, conference papers and publications on financial threats, examples of which are set out below. To return to an overview on Newrisk Limited's financial threat expertise, please click here.
To request Newrisk Limited's assistance in connection with threats posed to financial institutions and financial threats from terrorism and disasters or to discuss a tailored package of services, please contact Newrisk Limited directly.
Newrisk Limited and its principal adviser, Dr Leivesley, have provided media commentary on financial threats from terrorism and disasters, including those occasioned by local instability and infrastructure attacks:
- Home Affairs Select Committee Recommendations for Cyber Crime for ITV Daybreak on 30 July 2013 - more online;
- Terror bomb plots on New York's financial district & terrorist recruitment for attack on the US President for ITV on 18 October 2012;
- MI5 Director General's speech on terror threats for the Olympics & beyond for Channel 5 News (pre-record) on 26 June 2012;
- UK Riots: Police Crisis Response and Olympics Issues for ZDF German Television on 9 & 12 August 2011;
- UK Riots & Police Measures in Response for Al Jazeera on 8 August 2011;
- Change to UK Threat Status and Impact upon Retail and the UK Population for BBC Breakfast and Sky News on 23 January 2010;
- G20 Protest Risk and Business Risks for GMTV on 31 March 2009;
- Flood Recovery, Protection and Insurance for BBC Radio Five Live on 23 July 2007;
- Flood Risk and Remediation for Sky News on 23 July 2007;
- Avian Flu Risks for Sky News on 7 April 2006; and
- Smallpox Preparednesss in Britain for BBC World on 8 January 2003.
Lectures and Conferences
Newrisk Limited and its principal adviser, Dr Leivesley, have provided lectures & conference papers on financial threats from terrorism and disasters, including:
- 'Cyber Infrastructure & Physical Security: Case Studies 2012 & Bulk Cargo; Managing Catastrophic Risk in Security Architecture: Insider Threat, Integration of Intelligence and Terror Threats' - Keynote Paper to MIS 2nd Annual ICT Security Africa in Accra (Ghana) in September 2011;
- 'Crisis Management Training' -Training Lectures at MIS Academy Crisis Management Training in London (England) in June 2011;
- 'Cloud Catastrophic Risk & Reputation Assurance for CISOS: Risk Insights' - Paper to Cloud Security Forum in Rome (Italy) in June 2011;
- 'Strategic Approaches to Catastrophic Risk of Fraud and Corruption: New Lessons from London 2012 & Other Case Studies Including Wikipedia' - Presentation to 5th Annual Fraud and Corruption Summit 2011 in Copenhagen (Denmark) in April 2011;
- 'Reputation, Governance & Audit: Managing Catastrophic Risk From Terrorism or Accidents: London Olympics 2012 and BP Gulf Oil Spill'- MIS Middle East Fraud and Corruption Summit in Dubai (UAE) in January 2011;
- 'ICT Catastrophic Risk Management: Critical Infrastructure Protection & Case Studies London 2012 & Maritime Terrorism' - Keynote Paper to 3rd Annual Chief Information Security Officer Midle East Summit & Roundtable in Dubai (UAE) in January-February 2011;
- 'Financial Citites: Dirty Bombs & Terror Risks to 2012' - Keynote Paper to 3rd Annual Chief Security Officer Summit in Barcelona (Spain) in October 2009; and
- 'Exercise Tall Buildings: Responding to the Globalisation of Terrorism in Securing Cyberspace, Building Trust and Confidence in IT Infrastructure' - Paper to the World Conference on Computer Security, Audit and Control (Compsec 2002) in London (England) in October 2002.
Newrisk Limited's principal adviser, Dr Leivesley, has written publications on financial threats from terrorism and disasters, including:
- Emergency Training in Financial Institutions: Debriefing following an Armed Hold-up by Dr Sally Leivesley in Safety Audit (January/February 1991).
Newrisk Limited's principal adviser, Dr Leivesley, has been cited in numerous publications on financial threats from terrorism and disasters, including:
- Companies Urged to Help Pay for Pipeline Security - by Jimmy Burns, The Financial Times (7 January 2007): "The private sector is being asked to fund increased security at gas pipelines as part of new measures aimed at countering the threat of international terrorism...Sally Leivesley, a private-sector and government security adviser, said, 'All the intelligence information suggests that international terrorism is developing different forms of attack, and developing increasingly sophisticated methods and equipment to try and hit at buildings and installations.'"
- Employers Refuse to Pass on Terrorism Warnings by Jimmy Burns, The Financial Times (6 February 2003);
- We Must Be Prepared for Terror Attacks by Richard and Judy Finnigan, Daily Express (22 February 2003);
- Firms Unprepared on Terror Threat by Anonymous, for BBC News Online on 26 November 2002: "Sally Leivesley...argues in the report [from the Foreign Policy Centre] that a 'one-stop shop' link is needed between companies and government. That would help share information and intelligence, she suggests."
To request Newrisk Limited's assistance in connection with threats posed to financial institutions or to discuss a tailored package of services, please contact Newrisk Limited directly.