London in 2012
The staging of a large-scale event - such as the Olympics and Paralympics - inevitably gives rise to certain safety and security concerns relating to event locations as well as competitors, supporters and the general public.
Newrisk Limited and its advisers have previously advised on olympics issues including infrastructure security planning (notably, the Sydney Airport Rail Line prior to the olympics in Sydney in 2000), security assessments for organisations and employee preparedness workshops.
Media Commentary on London in 2012
Newrisk Limited and its principal adviser, Dr Leivesley, provided media background and commentary on olympics security issues for London in 2012, including:
- MoD Cyber Report, House of Commons Defence Committee for ITV News on 9 January 2013;
- Olympics threats and status of Olympic security for N24 Television Germany on 24 July 2012;
- Olympic security and public protection for Channel 10 (Australia) on 23 July 2012;
- Military support to the Olympics and impact of private security guarding failure on safety status of the Games for Channel 5 News on 18 July 2012;
- Olympics guarding failures and advantages of military support for public protection for ITN Daybreak and Al Jazeera (UK) (pre-record) on 16 July 2012;
- Olympics receive 3,500 deployed troops to support private security for ITN Daybreak and Channel 5 News (pre-record) on 12 July 2012;
- Olympics threats following suspected six person terror cell arrests & a false chemical incident alarm for ITN Daybreak on 6 July;
- Current status of olympics security following suspected six person terror cell arrests in London for Channel 5 News on 5 July;
- British suspected female al qaeda operative in Kenya & olympics threats for ITN Daybreak on 2 July 2012;
- MI5 Director General's speech on terror threats for the Olympics & beyond for Channel 5 News (pre-record) on 26 June 2012;
- Olympics security tested in Queen's Diamond Jubilee for Channel 7 (Australia) on 4 June 2012;
- Underpants bomb plot in Yemen foiled for Sky News and Channel 5 News on 8 May 2012;
- Olympics defence exercise & Olympics security preparedness for Channel 5 News on 3 May 2012;
- Rockets on Rooftops to Protect London Olympics for ABC Radio (Australia) on 30 April 2012;
- Missile Batteries on Residential Tall Building close to Olympic Park for Sky News and Al Jazeera (UK) on 29 April 2012;
- Olympic Volleyball at the Horseguards Parade for Channel 10 (Australia) on 16 April 2012;
- Oxford & Cambridge Boat Race Activist Disruption and Terror Threats to London in 2012 for ITV Daybreak and Channel 5 News (UK) on 9 April 2012;
- Olympics Security for Sky News on 15 December 2011;
- Olympics Security and Additional Security Personnel Requirements (including USA Personnel) for Sky News on 14 November 2011; and
- UK Riots: Police Crisis Response and olympics Issues for ZDF German Television on 9 and 12 August 2011.
Lectures on London in 2012
Newrisk Limited and its principal adviser, Dr Leivesley, provided lectures & conferences on London in 2012 (incorporating analyses of associated catastrophic risks, physical security concerns and cyber security issues), including:
- 'Managing Shock Attacks on Cities: Multiple Terrorist, Nuclear or Cyber Threat Horizons' - Keynote and Planning Lecture for CEOs at the Sixth Chief Security Officer Summit in Berlin (Germany) in December 2012;
- 'CBRNE/Cyber Terrorism & London in 2012' - Technical Briefing to Government sponsored students at the Department of Peace Studies, University of Bradford;
- 'London in 2012: Terrorism, Catastrophic Incidents and Helpful Hints' - Presentation to the High Premium Group Annual Conference in London (England) in April 2012;
- Cyber Infrastructure & Physical Security: Case Studies London in 2012 & Bulk Cargo; Managing Catastrophic Risk in Security Architecture: Insider Threat, Integration of Intelligence and Terror Threats' - Keynote Paper to MIS 2nd Annual ICT Security Africa in Accra (Ghana) in September 2011;
- 'Strategic Approaches to Catastrophic Risk of Fraud and Corruption: New Lessons from London in 2012 & Other Case Studies Including Wikileaks' - Presentation to 5th Annual Fraud and Corruption Summit 2011 in Copenhagen (Denmark) in April 2011;
- 'Reputation, Governance & Audit: Managing Catastrophic Risk From Terrorism or Accidents: Olympics in London in 2012 and BP Gulf Oil Spill'- Paper to the Middle East Fraud and Corruption Summit in Dubai (UAE) in January 2011;
- 'ICT Catastrophic Risk Management: Critical Infrastructure Protection & Case Studies London in 2012 & Maritime Terrorism' - Keynote Paper to 3rd Annual Chief Information Security Officer Middle East Summit & Roundtable in Dubai (UAE) in January-February 2011; and
- Living with Catastrophic Risk: Security Issues for BP and London in 2012' - Paper to the ASIS Autumn Chapter Meeting in London (England) in September 2010.
Dr Leivesley has been cited in publications on olympics security issues, including:
- Should Rooftops be installed for London Olympics Security' by 'the Community Team' for the CBC News (Canada) Community Blog, 29 April 2012: "...Dr Sally Leivesley, principal adviser at security consultancy Newrisk, called the measures "absolutely necessary." She said the government "has an obligation to the International Olympic Committee to protect over 100 heads of state who are visiting and all the athletes that come from all over the world."
To request assistance in connection with a large-scale event or to discuss a tailored package of services, please contact Newrisk Limited directly.