London in 2012 Security Issues: Further Information
Newrisk Limited and its principal adviser, Dr Leivesley, have previously provided media commentary, lectures, conference papers, workshops and publications on olympics security issues, examples of which are set out below. To return to an overview of Newrisk Limited's olympic security issues expertise, please click here.
To request Newrisk Limited's assistance in connection with a large-scale event or to discuss a tailored package of services, please contact Newrisk Limited directly.
Newrisk Limited and its principal adviser, Dr Leivesley, have provided media background and commentary on olympics security issues, including:
- Sochi Olympic Threats and Russian Security Capability for Al Jazeera (English) on 2 January 2014;
- 3 British Muslims convicted of disrupted 2011 backpack suicide bomb plot for ITV News on 22 February 2013;
- MoD Cyber Report, House of Commons Defence Committee for ITV News on 9 January 2013;
- Olympics threats and status of Olympic security for N24 Television Germany on 24 July 2012;
- Olympic security and public protection for Channel 10 (Australia) on 23 July 2012;
- Military support to the Olympics and impact of private security guarding failure on safety status of the Games for Channel 5 News on 18 July 2012;
- Olympics guarding failures and advantages of military support for public protection for ITN Daybreak and Al Jazeera (UK) (pre-record) on 16 July 2012;
- Olympics receive 3,500 deployed troops to support private security for ITN Daybreak and Channel 5 News (pre-record) on 12 July 2012;
- Olympics threats following suspected six person terror cell arrests & a false chemical incident alarm for ITN Daybreak on 6 July;
- Current status of olympics security following suspected six person terror cell arrests in London for Channel 5 News on 5 July;
- British suspected female al qaeda operative in Kenya & olympics threats for ITN Daybreak on 2 July 2012;
- MI5 Director General's speech on terror threats for the Olympics & beyond for Channel 5 News (pre-record) on 26 June 2012;
- Olympics security tested in Queen's Diamond Jubilee for Channel 7 (Australia) on 4 June 2012;
- Underpants bomb plot in Yemen foiled for Sky News and Channel 5 News on 8 May 2012;
- Olympics defence exercise & Olympics security preparedness for Channel 5 News on 3 May 2012;
- Rockets on Rooftops to Protect London Olympics for ABC Radio (Australia) on 30 April 2012;
- Missile Batteries on Residential Tall Building close to Olympic Park for Sky News and Al Jazeera (UK) on 29 April 2012;
- Olympic Volleyball at the Horseguards Parade for Channel 10 (Australia) on 16 April 2012;
- Oxford & Cambridge Boat Race Activist Disruption and Terror Threats to London in 2012 for ITV Daybreak and Channel 5 News (UK) on 9 April 2012;
- Olympics Security for Sky News on 15 December 2011;
- Olympics Security and Additional Security Personnel Requirements (including USA Personnel) for Sky News on 14 November 2011; and
- UK Riots: Police Crisis Response and olympics Issues for ZDF German Television on 9 and 12 August 2011.
Lectures, Conferences & Workshops on Olympics Security Issues
Newrisk Limited and its principal adviser, Dr Leivesley, have provided lectures, conference papers and workshops on olympics security issues, including:
- 'Managing Shock Attacks on Cities: Multiple Terrorist, Nuclear or Cyber Threat Horizons' - Keynote and Planning Lecture for CEOs at the Sixth Chief Security Officer Summit in Berlin (Germany) in December 2012;
- 'London in 2012: Terrorism, Catastrophic Incidents and Helpful Hints' - Presentation to the High Premium Group Annual Conference in London (England) in April 2012.
- 'International Terror Threats to London in 2012' - Briefing to UK Police and Business in Manchester (England) in March 2012;
- 'Cyber Infrastructure & Physical Security: Case Studies London in 2012 & Bulk Cargo; Managing Catastrophic Risk in Security Architecture: Insider Threat, Integration of Intelligence and Terror Threats' - Keynote Paper to MIS 2nd Annual ICT Security Africa in Accra (Ghana) in September 2011;
- 'Strategic Approaches to Catastrophic Risk of Fraud and Corruption: New Lessons from London in 2012 & Other Case Studies Including Wikileaks' - Presentation to 5th Annual Fraud and Corruption Summit 2011 in Copenhagen (Denmark) in April 2011;
- 'Reputation, Governance & Audit: Managing Catastrophic Risk From Terrorism or Accidents: olympics in London 2012 and BP Gulf Oil Spill'- Paper to the Middle East Fraud and Corruption Summit in Dubai (UAE) in January 2011;
- 'ICT Catastrophic Risk Management: Critical Infrastructure Protection & Case Studies London in 2012 & Maritime Terrorism' - Keynote Paper to 3rd Annual Chief Information Security Officer Midle East Summit & Roundtable in Dubai (UAE) in January-February 2011;
- Living with Catastrophic Risk: Security Issues for BP and London in 2012' - Paper to the ASIS Autumn Chapter Meeting in London (England) in September 2010; and
- 'Risking the Forward Responder: Sydney 2000 - Paper to the 28th International Training Conference & Trade Exhibition of Bomb Technicians & Investigators in Melbourne (Australia) in June 2000.
Newrisk Limited's principal adviser, Dr Leivesley, has published on olympics security issues, including:
- 'Terrorism - Towards the Sydney 2000 Olympics' in RUSI Bulletin, Issue No. 4 (December 1996): "Australia's new international status through the Sydney 2000 Olympics is not identified as a cause of terrorism but the event may bring forward the timetable of terrorist growth within the country. Threats to airlines and aiport security are identified as having the greatest potential to disrupt the Sydney Olympic Games...Recommendations are made for an integrated counter-terrorism system, protection of airports and airlines through an upgrading of dogs in explosives detection and new human factor detection systems, review of legal processes and resources for police training."
- 'TWA - Sydney Olympics 2000' in Safety Audit (October 1996): "The TWA event creates serious questions for Australia's planning of the Sydney Olympics. Fortunately there is a reasonable period of time before the next Olympics and the State and Federal Governments have the advantage of the warnings from Atlanta."
Newrisk Limited's principal adviser, Dr Leivesley, has also been cited in publications on olympics security issues, including:
- Should Rooftops be installed for London Olympics Security' by 'the Community Team' for the CBC News (Canada) Community Blog, 29 April 2012: "...Dr Sally Leivesley, principal adviser at security consultancy Newrisk, called the measures "absolutely necessary." She said the government "has an obligation to the International Olympic Committee to protect over 100 heads of state who are visiting and all the athletes that come from all over the world."
- Anti-Terrorism Lessons for Sydney Olympics by Peter Morley, the Courier Mail (Brisbane, Australia) (22 July 1996): "There were immediate lessons for Australia's preparation for the Sydney Olympics if the TWA 800 disaster turned out to be a terrorist attack, a Brisbane bomb-detection expert said yesterday. Sally Leivesley said the first was that there was still time to prepare for the 2000 Games, which would centre the world's focus on Australia. 'This means we need to protect all airports around the country, other transport systems and public utilities,' she said. 'These can be economic and symbolic targets highly visible through the media. 'All airports in the country have to have some form of protection as terrorists can feed into the major international airports from any part of the world.'"
To request Newrisk Limited's assistance in connection with a large scale event or to discuss a tailored package of services, please contact Newrisk Limited directly.