Risk Management: Further Information
Newrisk Limited is available to advise organisations, industry bodies and governments on risk management issues. Newrisk Limited and its principal adviser, Dr Leivesley, have previously provided media commentary, lectures, conference papers, workshop exercises and publications on risk management, examples of which are set out below. To return to an overview of Newrisk Limited's risk management expertise, please click here.
To request Newrisk Limited's assistance with issues related to risk management or to discuss a tailored package of services, please contact Newrisk Limited directly.
Newrisk Limited's principal adviser, Dr Leivesley, has provided media commentary on risk management, including:
- Exercise Cyber Attack, Emerging Cyber Threats, Regional Overview' for CISO Middle East Ninth Annual Conference, Dubai, March 27-29, 2017 on March 27;
- 'Urban Terror Targets: Optimising Cyber Security for Survival' for CISO Middle East Ninth Annual Conference, Dubai, March 27-29, 2017 on March 28;
- Post Terror Attack Analysis, Sydney Hostage Siege by Monis, Sociopathic Terrorist for Chanel 9 Australia Today on 17 December 2014;
- Sydney Hostage Siege by Monis, Lone Wolf Terrorist for BBC World News, BBC Five Live, Good Mornig Britain, Channel 9 News (Australia) on 16 December 2014;
- Kassig Beheading, ISIS Threats, and COBRA Meeting for BBC Newsday on 18 November 2014;
- ISIS Sotloff Beheading & Obama/Cameron Options in Context of Nato Meeting for ITN News on 3 September 2014;
- James Foley Execution Videofor ITV Good Morning Britain on 20 August 2014: "The video purporting to show the execution of US journalist James Foley by Islamic State Miltants is a 'come on' to supporters in the UK, security expert Dr Sally Leivesley told Good Morning Britain. 'We have to take a risk message here in Britain and the risk will be first in the local communities where those sympathisers are,' Dr Leivesley said."
- Iraq ISIL, Sunni-Shia Islam, Iran, Base Jumping and Other World News Items for BBC World Service News on 21 June 2014;
- Soma Mine Explosion for ITV Good Morning Britain on 15 May 2014;
- Soma Mine Explosion: Turkey causation and rescue for Sky News on 14 May 2014;
- 'The Plane that Vanished' panel interview by Donal MacIntyre on MAL MH370 plane disappearance and causation for Channel 5 on 14 March 2014;
- MAS Plane Disappearance for ITV Daybreak, Channel 5 News and ITV News on 10 March 2014;
- Sochi Olympic Threats and Russian Security Capability for Al Jazeera (English) on 2 January 2014;
- Radicalisation Threats Following the Terrorist Killing of Soldier Lee Rigby for BBC Radio Scotland on 21 December 2013;
- Home Affairs Select Committee Recommendations for Cyber Crime for ITV Daybreak on 30 July 2013 - more online;
- Taliban Peace Talks with USA for ITV Daybreak on 19 June 2013;
- G8 Leader Options to Reduce World Terrorism, Conflict Resolution with Syria & Agreement not to pay Kidnap & Ransom Demands for BBC World NewsDay on 18 June 2013;
- White House announces Syrian Military's Chemical Weapons Use & US Military Support for Rebels for ITV Daybreak on 14 June 2013;
- NSA Intelligence Leak and GCHQ Data Surveillance for ITV Daybreak on 10 June 2013;
- Catastrophic Risk Cyber Security Press Briefing for the Institution of Technology and Engineering at the Wellcome Trust on 29 April 2013;
- 6 Terrorists Jailed in West Midlands EDL Attack Plot on ITV Daybreak on 1 May 2013;
- Canada Terror Plot to Derail Train to the US for ITV Daybreak on 23 April 2013;
- London Marathon Security & its implications for future sporting events for Channel Pro7, 'TAFF' programme (Germany) on 23 April 2013;
- Boston Marathon Terror for Channel 7 Weekend Sunrise (Australia) on 21 April 2013;
- Boston Marathon Terror for Chanel 5 News on 20 April 2013;
- Boston Marathon Terror for ITV Daybreak, Channel 10 News (Australia) and Channel 5 News on 16 April 2013;
- Boston Marathon Terror and Security for the London Marathon for BBC Radio Scotland on 16 April 2013;
- 3 British Muslims convicted of disrupted 2011 backpack suicide bomb plot for ITV News on 22 February 2013;
- North Korea's nuclear test 7 kiloton yield for ITV News on 12 February 2013;
- Nigeria multinational hostage taking by Al Qaeda affiliated militants for ITV News on 18 January 2013;
- Libya Benghazi terror threat and FCO advice to British citizens for ITV News on 25 January 2013;
- Zero Dark Thirty - CIA sharing of data with film makers for Sky News on 25 January 2013;
- Al Aminas gas site and expansion of terror threat to region and Western countries for ITV News on 21 January 2013
- Al Aminas gas site, terrorist mass hostage taking (including British hostages) for Sky News on 16 and 17 January 2013 and ITV News on 17 and 18 January 2013;
- Public Concern over End of the World Belief linked to Mayan Calendar for ITV News on 21 December 2012;
- Camp Bastion baby born to Gunner soldier for ITV News on 19 September 2012;
- Taliban attack Camp Bastion & Prince Harry's safety for ITV and Channel 5 News on 17 September 2012;
- Twitter threat to blow up airport found 'not menancing' following court appeal for BBC News on 27 July 2012;
- Olympics threats and status of Olympic security for N24 Television Germany on 24 July 2012;
- Olympic security and public protection for Channel 10 (Australia) on 23 July 2012;
- US Cinema Mass Casualty Shooting for Sky News on 20 July 2012;
- Military support to the Olympics and impact of private security guarding failure on safety status of the Games for Channel 5 News on 18 July 2012;
- Olympics guarding failures and advantages of military support for public protection for ITN Daybreak and Al Jazeera (UK) (pre-record) on 16 July 2012;
- Strategic consequences & alternatives to cutting of 20,000 military personnel for Sky News on 7 June 2012;
- Underpants bomb plot in Yemen foiled for Sky News and Channel 5 News on 8 May 2012;
- Olympics defence exercise & Olympics security preparedness for Channel 5 News on 3 May 2012;
- Pending Decision on Abu Hamza Extradition (the law and catastrophic risks from terrorism) for Sky News on 10 April 2012.
Lectures, Conference Papers & Workshop Exercises
Newrisk Limited and its principal adviser, Dr Leivesley, have provided lectures, conference papers and workshop exercises on risk management, including:
- 'Optimising Intelligent Systems for Competitive Advantage: Discussions on Singapore and an International Case Study of Systems Failures in Flight MH370'' - Key Note Lecture to the Chief Information Security Officers Conference in Singapore in November 2014;
- 'Strategic Threats in Cyber Space: Was MH370 the First Cyber Hijack?' - Key Note Lecture to the International Conference on Cloud Security and Management at the University of Reading (England) in October 2014;
- 'Novel Approaches to Cyber Defence: Strategic Analysis and Assessments in the Operating Environment, Case Study of Distributed Energy Systems Sustainability' - Presentation and Panel Participation at the SAS-106 Symposium on 'Analysis Support to Decision Making in Cyber Defence', NATO Systems Analysis Studies Panel in Tallinn (Estonia) in June 2014;
- 'Cyber Hijack and other Emerging Threats: Strategies for Sustainability' - Key Note Lecture to the CEP (Corporate Executive Program) in Barcelona (Spain) in May 2014;
- 'Snapshot of Regional Risks and Sustainability- Incorporating Exercise Cyber-Defence' - Lecture to MIS Chief Information Security Officer Middle East 6th Annual Summit and Roundtable in Dubai (UAE) in February 2014;
- ‘London in 2012- Security Lessons and Future Threats’, ISC2 Secure Workshop in London (England) in March 2013. Training modules included: Training modules: Lessons from London in 2012; Lessons for Securing Systems; Skills for Monitoring the Cyber Threat Landscape; Security Audits for Cloud; Media Communications Skills and Role Plays; Skills Development;
- 'Managing Shock Attacks on Cities: Multiple Terrorist, Nuclear or Cyber Threat Horizons' - Keynote and Planning Lecture for CEOs at the Sixth Chief Security Officer Summit in Berlin (Germany) in December 2012;
- 'Water and CBRNE/Cyber Terrorism: Waterborne threats and sustainability of cities including unusual secondary and tertiary water contamination lessons from Fukushima' - Presentation to the 'Role of Science in the Third Millenium, International Seminar on Nuclear War and Planetary Emergencies', 45th Session in Erice (Italy) in August 2012;
- 'CBRNE/Cyber Terrorism & London in 2012' - Technical Briefing to Government sponsored students at the Department of Peace Studies, University of Bradford;
- 'Fukushima - Lessons Learned: Limiting the Consequences, Dealing with Loss of Containment' - workshop exercise to the Register of Security Engineers and Specialists, Continuing Professional Development Day at the Transport Research Laboratory in Berkshire (UK) in October 2011;
- 'Cyber Infrastructure and Physical Security: Case Studies London in 2012 and Bulk Cargo; Managing Catastrophic Risk in Security Architecture: Insider Threats, Integration of Intelligence and Terror Threats' - Keynote Paper to the MIS 2nd Annual Information and Communications Technologies Security Africa Conference in Accra (Ghana) in September 2011;
- 'Strategic Approaches to Catastrophic Risk of Fraud and Corruption: New Lessons from London in 2012 and Other Case Studies including Wikileaks - Presentation to the 5th Annual Fraud and Corruption Summit in Copenhagen (Denmark) in April 2011;
- 'Cloud Catastrophic Risk and Reputation Assurance for CISOs: Risk Insights' - Paper to the Cloud Security Forum in Rome (Italy) in June 2011;
- 'Reputation, Governance and Audit: Managing Catastrophic Risk from Terrorism or Accidents: London in 2012 and the BP Gulf Oil Spill' - Paper to the MIS Middle East Fraud and Corruption Summit in Dubai (UAE) in January 2011;
- 'ICT Catastrophic Risk Management: Critical Infrastructure Protection and Case Studies London in 2012 and Maritime Terrorism' - Keynote Paper to the 3rd Annual Chief Information Security Office Middle East Summit and Roundtable in Dubai (UAE) in January-February 2011;
- 'Living with Catastrophic Risk: Security Issues for BP and London in 2012' - Paper to the ASIS Autumn Chapter Meeting in London (England) in September 2010;
- 'Auditing Risk Management of Top Threats to Reputation and Security for Nations Visiting International Events such as London in 2012 and other Sports Events' - Paper to the 5th Annual Audit, Risk and Governance Africa Conference in Durban (South Africa) in August 2010;
- 'Nuclear Terrorism: Criticalities in Harmonising Catastrophic Risk Management' - Paper to the Safety and Security of Energy Infrastructures in a Comparative View in Brussels (Belgium) in November 2005;
- Myths and Madness in Risk Management' - Keynote paper to 7799 Goes Global: Business Working Together Conference held by the Information Security Management Systems International User Group in London (England) in September 2003;
- 'Back to Basics: Delivering Turnbull to the Boardroom - A Systematic Approach to Risk Assessment' - Paper to the British Security Industry Association Conference on Information Security in Birmingham (England) in June 2001;
- 'Turning Risk into Shareholder Value' - Paper to the CABS Update Blue Sky for 2000 Business Leaders, Institute of Chartered Accountants in Australia Conference at the Gold Coast (Australia) in October 2000;
- 'Global Issues Confronting the Public Sector' - Paper to the Managing Risk in the New Millenium: A Public Sector Perspective Conference in Brisbane (Australia) in July 1999;
- 'Testing Business Continuity: Exercise 'Quick Think' - Workshop Session for the Institute of Risk Management Annual Conference on A Professional Response to Current Risk Challenges in Cambridge (England) in September 1998;
- 'Site Risk Assessments: Fuel Air Explosion Case Study' - Paper and workshop exercise to the Region VII International Training Conference & Exhibition, International Association of Bomb Technicians and Investigators in Canberra (Australia) in November 1996;
- 'Surviving Terrorism - Controlling Human Risk Factors' - Paper to the Association of Insurance and Risk Managers' Conference in Nottingham (England) in March 1996;
- 'The Future of Risk Management' - Paper to the International Security Industry Conference in Birmingham (England) in May 1996;
- 'New Techniques in Assessing Mine Risk' - Paper by Dr Sally Leivesley and Dr A Greene at the 26th International Conference, the Safety in Mines Research Institute, in Katowice (Poland) in September 1995;
- 'Operational Risk Assessment, Management and Emergencies: A Three Day Training Course on Risk' - Dr Leivesley, together with Mr Peter Gurney and Dr AR Green for the Symposium Workshop on Major LP Gas Incidents, Workcover Authority of NSW, in Sydney (Australia) in October 1994;
- 'Recognising Risk: Policing and Practice: Gaining and Maintaining Senior Management, Commitment to the Security Function' - Paper to the PROFSEC 'Outstanding Security Management' Conference in London (England) in April 1994;
- Operational Risk Assessment Seminar - Seminar to the Home Office Emergency Planning College in Easingwold (England) in June 1993;
- 'The Public Perception of Risk' - Paper to the National Environmental Law Association, 9th Annual Conference at the Gold Coast (Austalia) in August 1990.
Newrisk Limited's principal adviser, Dr Leivesley, has written publications on risk management, including:
- 'Crisis Management Plans and Policy - Practical Steps for Writing and Reviewing Plans and Policy' - by Dr Leivesley in Safety Audit, February 2002.
- 'Business Risk and Profit The Case for Security' by Dr Leivesley in the International Journal of Risk, Security and Crime Prevention (1997) Vol.2(2) 141.
- 'Limitations of Risk Assessment Methodologies for Fire in Transport Tunnel Systems' - with Dr AR Green, AOFST5, Fire Safety Science Digital Archive, 2001.
Newrisk Limited's principal adviser, Dr Leivesley, has also been cited in various publications relating to risk management issues, including:
- 'Is missing Malaysian jet the world’s first CYBER HIJACK? Chilling new theory claims hackers could use a mobile phone to take over the controls' by Wills Robinson, Daily Mail Online, 16 March 2014: "Dr Leivesley, who now prepares businesses and governments for potential terrorist attacks, told the Sunday Express: 'There appears to be an element of planning from someone with a very sophisticated systems engineering understanding. This is a very early version of what I would call a smart plane, a fly-by-wire aircraft controlled by electronic signals. She added that once the plane is air-side, you can insert a set of commands and codes which can begin a new set of processes."
- ''World's First Cyber Hijack: Was Missing Malaysia Airlines Flight Hacked with Mobile Phone' by James Fielding and Stuart Winter in the Sunday Express, 16 March 2014: "British anti-terror expert Dr Sally Leivesley said last night: “It might well be the world’s first cyber hijack."
- 'Eurim Digital Policy Alliance: Discussion Meeting on Recent Developments in Child Internet Safety', chaired by Diana Johnson MP (Shadow Minister for Home Affairs) in House of Commons, London, 22 January 2014: transcript availale here.
- 'Outsourced IT Offers Hackers Access to Key Control Systems' by Mark Hennessy in Irish Times, 2 May 2013, discussing cyber security: "The North Koreans have been blamed for interrupting websites run in South Korea by banks, newspapers and TV companies in “a show and tell” warning about what they are capable of during a conflict, warns Sally Leivesley of Newrisk. The South Koreans have taken the warning seriously, upgrading security at their nuclear plants – including disabling every USB port in every computer at the plants lest they be used to breach defences."
To request Newrisk Limited's assistance in connection with a risk management concern or to discuss a tailored package of services, please contact Newrisk Limited directly.